Coconut is considered a tree nut by the FDA.
Have you ever looked at the ingredients on the back of boxed coconut milk? There’s quite a lot of ingredients. Way more than needed. Icky additives are added to the drink. But in this homemade coconut milk, you’ll find two simple ingredients. None of which are guar gum, magnesium phosphate, or carrageenan. All you’ll need is some shredded coconut and some water.
2 cups Shredded Coconut
4 cups Water
1. In a pot over a stove, add coconut and water.
2. Turn the stove onto low heat. Let the coconut and water heat up for 15-20 minutes.
3. Once heated, add the mixture to a high power blender(I use a Vitamix). Blend on high for about one minute.
4. Scrape down any coconut on the sides and check the consistency. If it doesn’t seem very liquid, add water in 2 Tbs. increments until liquid consistency is reached.
5. Blend on high for another minute.
6. Using cheesecloth, a nut milk bag, or a VERY fine strainer, separate the liquid from any remaining coconut pieces.
7. Store in the fridge for up to four days.
For additional ways to make coconut milk visit foodbabe.com